Hearty Geometric Quiche With Mashed Potatoes, Hot Dogs, And Leeks
Are you looking for a recipe that will wow everyone in sight? Then look no further! A few simple tricks turn this hearty quiche with hot dogs, mashed potatoes, leeks, and mozzarella into a true work of art – both a culinary work of art AND a visual work of art! The crust is nice and buttery, while the creaminess from the mashed potatoes give this dish the ultimate comfort factor that's perfect for chilly fall days and nights!
For the pie dough:
- 2¾ cups flour
- 1½ sticks butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup ice water
For the mashed potatoes:
- 1 lb potatoes
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- nutmeg to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 10-inch pie dish
- baking beans or pie weights
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 7 hot dogs, cut into about 33 small diamonds
- 4 thin leeks, cut into about 33 small diamonds
1. First prepare the pie dough by working the butter into the flour with a fork and then adding the salt. Gradually knead in the ice water, form the dough into a ball, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Line the pie dish with parchment paper, roll out the dough, and transfer it to the dish. Put another layer of parchment paper on top of the dough and pour the baking beans or pie weights on top. Bake the dough in a preheated oven set to 350°F for 20 minutes.
2. Boil the potatoes, let them cool a bit, and then mash them with the milk, butter, nutmeg, and egg yolk. Mix everything until combined and then spread the mashed potatoes over the pre-baked and cooled pie crust. Smooth out the mashed potatoes and sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top.
3. Cut the hot dogs in half lengthwise and then cut the halves diagonally into small diamond pieces.
4. Arrange the hot dog diamonds in rows on top of the cheese, alternating between pieces facing up and pieces facing down.
5. Cut the leeks into small diamonds and create a new row underneath the hot dog pieces.
6. Repeat this pattern until the entire quiche is covered.
7. Place the quiche back in the oven at 350°F and bake for 20 minutes.
This hearty quiche is almost too good looking to cut into, but we won't let that stop us. A flaky crust topped with creamy mashed potatoes, ooey, gooey cheese, crispy hot dogs, and crunchy leeks, and all in arranged in such a cool design... who could possibly resist?!
Get the recipe for the Pigs In A Blanket Party Ring featured in the bonus video.