Deep-Fried Mashed Potato Cups Filled With BBQ Beef And Cheese
Mashed potatoes are a classic comfort food that never get old, no matter how many times you eat them. In fact, we love them so much that we wanted to up the ante and serve them up in a new, ground-breaking way! We've come up with a recipe for deep-fried mashed potato cups that are absolutely stuffed with a hearty, savory filling, bringing you the ultimate in comfort food. They're filled to the brim with layers of deliciousness: BBQ ground beef, succulent zucchini, and melted Swiss cheese. This glass is WAY more than half full!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the mashed potato cups:
- 1 lb potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- salt & nutmeg to taste
- ½ cup water
- ¼ stick butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg for the dough
- whisked egg + flour + bread crumbs for the breading
For the BBQ beef filling:
- 1 lb ground beef
- paprika to taste
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 16 oz block Swiss cheese, melted
- fresh herbs to garnish
- small glass for the mashed potato mold
- piping bag
1. Boil the peeled potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and mash the boiled potatoes until smooth, stir in the egg yolks, and season with salt and nutmeg to taste.
2. Heat the butter and water in a separate pot over medium heat until they come to a gentle boil, then add a pinch of salt. Gradually add the flour to the mixture, making sure to stir continuously until a small ball of dough forms. Transfer the dough to a room-temperature bowl and stir in 1 egg until combined. Add the dough to the mashed potatoes and stir thoroughly.
3. Transfer the mashed potato mixture to a piping bag. Flip a glass over and place it on a lazy Susan, then pipe the mashed potato mixture onto the glass mold, turning the lazy Susan slowly so that the potato spirals all the way up to the base of the cup. Repeat this technique with the remainder of the ingredients, making 4 mashed potato cups in total. Freeze for at least 2–3 hours.
4. Take the cups out of the freezer and carefully remove the glass mold from each one. Whisk the eggs for the breading station and set up separate bowls for the flour, whisked egg, and bread crumbs. Roll each cup in flour, dredge in whisked egg, and coat in bread crumbs, then transfer the breaded cups to the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes. Take the mashed potato cups out of the freezer and heat a pot filled with cooking oil to about 350°F. Fry the mashed potato cups in hot oil for 5–6 minutes until golden brown.
5. Brown the ground beef, season with paprika, stir in the BBQ sauce, and set aside. Grill the sliced zucchini in a grilling pan and melt the Swiss cheese in a separate pot. Fill the fried potato cups with layers of BBQ ground beef, grilled zucchini slices, and melted Swiss cheese until filled, then garnish with fresh herbs.
When this hearty masterpiece is complete, slice it open and all of those beautiful layers will unfold right before your eyes! The BBQ ground beef, grilled zucchini, and melted Swiss cheese snuggle up together right inside the cup to make for the perfect meal!
Get the recipe for the XXL Sweet Potato Bombs featured in the bonus video.