Flower Power Fried Dough With Homemade Lemon Curd
Decadent desserts always have their place, but sometimes light, refreshing sweets are the way to go – especially during the summer months when heavy desserts are just too much. These fried dough flowers topped with homemade lemon curd are the light, airy, fresh desserts you've been waiting for! The soft, yet crispy texture of the fried dough combines perfectly with the citrusy lemon curd, and it all comes together in the shape of an adorable flower. These easy-to-make fried dough flowers are as bright as the summer sunshine you'll be serving them under!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1½ hours
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the flower fried dough:
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ stick butter, softened
- 1⅓ cups lukewarm milk
- cooking oil for frying
For the lemon curd:
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- pinch of salt
1. For the fried dough, stir together the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl until combined. Add the milk and butter to the dry ingredients and knead everything by hand until a smooth dough forms. Cover the dough and let it rest in a warm place for about 1 hour.
2. Divide the dough into 12 equal sections and roll each portion into a small ball. Grease the bottom of a tall shot glass, place 1 ball of dough on a small square of parchment paper, and press the greased glass into the center of the dough.
3. Keep the glass pressed into the center and cut the dough around the glass at even intervals.
4. Remove the glass and pinch the edges of the dough together to form the petals of the flowers. Repeat this process with the remainder of the dough to form 12 dough flowers in total.
5. For the lemon curd, combine the sugar, softened butter, egg yolks, lemon juice, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan and heat everything gradually, stirring continuously. Continue to heat and stir the mixture until the consistency becomes thick and creamy, then remove the saucepan from the heat and let the lemon curd cool.
6. Heat a pot filled with cooking oil on the stove and fry the dough flowers until golden brown. Place the fried dough flowers on paper towels to soak up any excess oil. Once the fried dough flowers have cooled, spoon a tablespoon of lemon curd into the center of each one.
These fried dough flowers with a bright lemon curd center look gorgeous and taste super summery. They're the perfect sweet treat for a nice little picnic or for the next big cookout you're invited to. Give them a try and enjoy the power of these delicious flowers!
Get the recipe for the Fried Bananas Filled With Melted Chocolate featured in the bonus video.