Fried Cabbage Balls And Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
This recipe is an extremely satisfying vegetarian alternative to meatballs. We're forming small balls out of finely chopped veggies, frying them, and making the most epic teriyaki sauce to go with them. These cabbage balls are super quick and easy to make, as is the sauce, so this recipe is perfect for when you need something comforting and delicious, proving once and for all that you don't need meat to make incredibly tasty food!
You'll Need (for about 50 balls):
For the fried cabbage balls:
- 1 head pointed cabbage, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp white corn flour
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- cooking oil for frying
For the teriyaki sauce:
- olive oil
- white part of 3 scallions, diced
- 1 red chili pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup ketchup
1. Throw the chopped vegetables into a food processor along with the parsley. Add the mixture to a clean dish towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
2. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add the salt, corn starch, white corn flour, and black sesame seeds, and mix until combined. Form small balls from the mixture, fry them in hot oil, and let them drain on paper towels to get rid of any excess oil.
TIP: Fry a sample ball before you form the other balls to see if it holds together or not. If it falls apart, add some more corn starch and white corn flour to your batter.
3. For the teriyaki sauce, heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat and briefly sauté the scallions, chili pepper, garlic, and ginger. Stir in the orange juice, soy sauce, and ketchup, and let the sauce cook down. Serve the fried cabbage balls with the teriyaki sauce and garnish with fresh scallions.
This is such a simple, flavorful snack, and you won't even notice that there's no meat in these fried cabbage balls – we guarantee it!
Get the recipe for the Cabbage Frittata With Smoked Sausage featured in the bonus video.