Banana Churros | Bananas On A Stick Wrapped And Fried In Delicious Choux Pastry
Who doesn't love churros? A true icon in the dessert world, this Mexican classic can't be improved upon, right? Well, that's debatable, since once you try this recipe, you might have a completely different mindset. What makes this particular twist on a classic churro so delicious is that it's essentially a banana on a stick wrapped and fried in choux pastry. The latter is a fancy way of saying "churro dough." The banana churro is then rolled in cinnamon and sugar and dipped in delicious, aromatic chocolate sauce to give it that classic churro taste. Give it a try and see for yourself!
For the choux pastry:
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
For the chocolate sauce:
- 1¼ cups hot milk
- 5 oz chocolate
- 1 level tbsp corn starch (optional)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 bananas
- 4 popsicle sticks
- piping bag with star tip
1. Add the water, salt, sugar, and butter to a saucepan and let it come to a boil briefly. Sieve the flour into a separate bowl and then add it to the mixture in the saucepan. Whisk everything together over low heat until the dough starts to form lumps and comes off the walls of the pan. Remove the saucepan from the heat, transfer the dough into a bowl, and let it cool for a couple of minutes, then add an egg and work it into the dough. Spoon the dough into a piping bag with a star tip.
2. Peel the bananas and divide them into two equal pieces. Stick one popsicle stick each into the cut side of the banana piece.
3. Heat some oil in a pot to about 350°F. Pipe the dough all around the bananas until they're completely covered, then fry the banana churros in the oil.
4. Add the chocolate to hot milk and let the chocolate melt. The chocolate sauce tastes even better when you add some corn starch, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
5. Roll the fried banana churros in cinnamon and sugar and then dip them in the chocolate sauce.
See, despite the intimidating French origin, choux pastry is actually fairly easy to make and handle. These ultra yummy banana churros are sure to become staples in your dessert repertoire and put a smile on your face every time you make them!
Get the recipe for the Chocolate Banana Cream Towers featured in the bonus video.