Flourless Caramel Nut Cake With Chocolate And Vanilla Cream Layers
There are certain flavor combinations that are perfect. For example, just imagine the taste of toasted nuts paired with crunchy caramel and smooth chocolate and vanilla cream – doesn't sound too shabby, does it? Well, this recipe combines all those components into one delicious nut cake, and here's the kicker: it's completely flourless. Now you can have your flourless cake and eat it too!
For the cake base:
- 6 egg whites
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2½ cups chopped mixed nuts
- 2 tbsp corn starch
For the chocolate cream:
- 2½ sticks softened butter
- 1¼ cups chocolate hazelnut spread
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
For the vanilla cream:
- 1¼ cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups sliced almonds
- ½ cup sugar + ¼ cup water for the caramel
- handful of chopped mixed nuts
- whole nuts to garnish
1. For the cake base, beat the egg whites with the butter and sugar until frothy. Mix the chopped nuts with the corn starch and fold the mass into the egg white mixture. Form 4 equal cake bases from the mixture and bake them for 120 minutes at 250°F. Once they're done baking, allow the cakes to chill.
2. For the chocolate cream, whip the butter until frothy, stir in the chocolate hazelnut spread, fold in the cocoa powder, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. For the vanilla cream, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract until frothy and then stir in the corn starch and milk. Pour the mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil over low temperature, stirring regularly, until the mixture thickens a little and then let it cool down. Meanwhile, toast the sliced almonds in a pan and let them also cool while you start on the caramel. Bring the sugar and water to a boil and cook until golden brown. Pour the liquid caramel on a piece of parchment paper and let it cool slightly before sprinkling the chopped nuts on top.
3. Once all the components for the cake have cooled down, you can start assembling the different elements. Spread one of the cake bases with chocolate cream and then put a second cake base on top.
4. Spread vanilla cream over the second cake base and put the third cake base on top.
5. Spread chocolate cream over the third cake base, top with the final cake base, and then coat the entire cake with the rest of the chocolate cream. Garnish the cake with the toasted sliced almonds, caramel brittle, and whole nuts.
A flourless caramel nut cake – what once seemed impossible has finally become reality. The proof is in the pudding, or rather the vanilla and chocolate cream. This cake serves up an explosion of the most delicious flavors and textures that'll make you forget what flour even tastes like!
Get the recipe for the Banana Hazelnut Mascarpone Cake featured in the bonus video.