Pizza Ravioli With A Homemade Fire-Roasted Tomato Sauce
Ravioli, the delicious stuffed pasta we all know and love, is a true staple of Italian cuisine that is beloved all around the world. The basic idea of putting some kind of filling into pasta dough makes for a lot of variety, but what if we told you there was a way to have ravioli AND pizza at the same time? Yep, that's exactly what's happening in this recipe! We're making pasta dough from scratch, stuffing it with salami and mozzarella, and smothering it with a homemade fire-roasted tomato sauce. Ravioli? Check! Pizza? Check! The ultimate tasty dish? Check!
For the pasta dough:
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1¼ semolina flour
- 3 eggs
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the pizza filling:
- 1 mozzarella ball
- lemon zest
- peppercorn to taste
- salami or pepperoni slices
For the fire-roasted tomato sauce:
- 3 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- parsley, sage & thyme to taste
1. First prepare the pasta dough. Mound the flour and semolina flour on your work surface, form a well in the center with your hands, and add the rest of the ingredients. Carefully incorporate everything until the dough is no longer sticky, roll it into a smooth ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
2. Roll out the dough into a rectangular shape and spread the parsley and sage leaves on the bottom half.
3. Fold the upper half over the part with the fresh herbs and roll the pasta dough out once more until the herbs slightly shine through.
4. Place the salami or pepperoni slices evenly on the pasta dough, leaving small gaps between each slice.
5. For the cheese filling, grate a frozen mozzarella ball and mix well with lemon zest and peppercorns.
6. Spoon the cheese mixture onto the salami slices.
7. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into squares.
8. Fold the dough squares diagonally onto themselves and press down to seal the edges. You can also brush an egg wash around the dough edges to help it stick.
9. Firmly press down on the edges with a fork to give the dough the typical ravioli look.
10. Boil the pasta in salted water until al dente.
11. For the fire-roasted tomato sauce, first fry the onion and garlic off in a pan with some olive oil.
12. Put the tomatoes on a wooden skewer and roast them over the open flame of a gas stove.
13. Add the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and fresh herbs to a blender and pulse briefly.
14. Pour the fire-roasted tomato sauce over the pizza ravioli and your dish is ready to be served. Simply delicious!
Everything tastes better when you make it yourself, and that's never been more true than with this dish! If you've been too scared to make your own pasta dough or ravioli from scratch, check your fear at the door and try this delicious pizza ravioli now!
Get the recipes for the Toastioli: Hawaiian, Caprese & Ricotta Olive Toast Ravioli featured in the bonus video.