Puff Pastry Rose Tart With Grilled Eggplant & Zucchini: The Prettiest Veggies You'll Ever Eat
If you're expecting guests, do both yourself and them a favor by making this beautiful and tasty blossom tart. Now the host can be the one giving out flowers! The fresh grilled vegetables mixed with doughy puff pastry and melted ham and cheese will leave the people at your dinner table begging for more.
- ½ zucchini
- ½ eggplant
- salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 4 oz ham
- 4 oz shredded cheese
- 1 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Slice half a zucchini and half an eggplant and halve the eggplant slices. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil on top.
2. Grill the eggplant and zucchini slices on both sides.
3. Use a pizza cutter to cut about four 2 x 9-inch strips from the sheet of puff pastry.
4. Sprinkle the ham and cheese over the puff pastry strips.
5. Lay zucchini slices side by side at the top of one of the puff pastry strips and roll up the dough lengthwise, forming a small flower.
6. Repeat the process on the next puff pastry strip, but put the rolled-up zucchini flower on the second strip before you roll it up. Now you will have a doubled-up flower!
7. Lay eggplant slices side by side at the top of the third puff pastry strip, place the double zucchini roll on top, and roll the entire thing up. Repeat with the fourth and final puff pastry strip.
8. Whisk the egg, brush the egg wash over the puff pastry blossom, and bake for 20 minutes.
Your guests will be so impressed with their edible roses that you may have a standing dinner date from here on out.
You can find the recipe for the Potato Flowers featured in the bonus video here.