Eggplant Al Forno With Buffalo Mozzarella & Zesty Homemade Tomato Sauce
Sometimes you just want an indulgent dish without that heavy feeling afterwards. If you're in the mood for a cheesy lasagna or rich pasta dish, but don't want to feel weighed down by the sleep-inducing carbs afterwards, you'll love this light vegetarian casserole that offers all of the taste but none of the calories of your standard delicious comfort food.
- 2 eggplants
- 3 fl oz olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- a few rosemary sprigs
For the filling:
- eggplant flesh
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- ½ tsp oregano
For the topping:
- 4 buffalo mozzarella balls (about 16 oz)
- 3 oz bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 oz grated parmesan
- basil to garnish
1. Preheat the oven 400°F. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, cut out the flesh, and set aside for later.
2. Place the halved eggplants in a casserole dish, drizzle olive oil on top, season with salt and pepper, and add a few rosemary sprigs. Bake for 15 minutes. After removing the dish from the oven, reduce heat to 350°F.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Cut up the eggplant flesh that you set aside in Step #1 and fry it in a pan with some olive oil. Add the chopped onion and chopped garlic and season with salt and pepper. Finally, add the cherry tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and oregano, and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Let the eggplants cool a bit after removing them from the oven. Remove the rosemary sprigs from the dish and spoon the filling into the eggplant hollows. Cut the buffalo mozzarella into small pieces and spread it over the eggplants.
5. Mix the bread crumbs and olive oil and sprinkle the topping over the eggplants, followed by parmesan cheese. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes and garnish the finished product with basil for a wonderfully fresh taste.
You'll love this healthy, low-carb take on lasagna and won't even miss the noodles!
You can find the recipe for the Mediterranean Stuffed Eggplant Roll featured in the bonus video here.