Make yourself some homemade ravioli with this tasty vegetarian recipe
Most of us know ravioli as pasta parcels filled with meat. But there are also plenty of vegetarian variations you can try with this Italian classic. Today, we want to explain how to make one in particular — tasty Egg Ravioli.
You'll need (for 10 pieces):
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 fl oz boiling water
- ⅖ cup ricotta
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup parmesan, grated
- 10 eggs (separate the yolks and the whites!)
- Mix the flour, salt and boiling water together and then knead it into a dough. Now cover the bowl and leave the dough to rest for an hour.
- To prepare the filling, mix the ricotta, basil, parmesan, olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest together.
- Now turn your attention back to the dough. Knead it through once more and form it into roll. Cut the roll into 20 slices, two for each piece of ravioli. Roll them out into thin circles on a work surface covered with flour. You can use a small bowl or something similar to cut out the circles.
- Put a dollop of the ricotta mixture in the middle of 10 of the dough circles. Make a slight depression in the ricotta and carefully place an egg yolk on top, so that it stays intact. Brush the border of the dough with egg white and then lay a second sheet of dough on top. Press the edges of both sheets of dough together carefully, but firmly enough that they stick together.
- Finally, poach the Egg Ravioli in simmering water with some salt and serve with chopped chives and freshly-ground pepper.
Ordinary ravioli out of the can are obviously no match for these homemade Egg Ravioli. Admittedly, you might get more in a can, but we're definitely going for quality over quantity!