Homemade Cupcakes With Chocolate Dipped Cones
No restaurant does the chocolate dipped ice cream cone better than Dairy Queen! Who can forget making trips to the ol' DQ as a kid, watching as the warm melty chocolate set over the vanilla soft serve swirl? These days, many things are dipped in chocolate: pretzels, strawberries, even potato chips! The more food covered in chocolate, the better! Why not add cupcakes to the list?
You'll Need (for 12):
For the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 6 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup water
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup butter
- 12 oz chocolate dip
- For the cupcake batter, add the dry ingredients to a bowl followed by the warm water and egg. Beat together before adding the butter, and then beat once more until smooth.
- Place cupcake liners into a muffin pan and fill them with the batter. Bake for 15 minutes at 355 °F.
- Now for the topping: First, boil the sugar and water together to form a thick syrup. Be sure not to cook for too long, otherwise the sugar will caramelize.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until stiff, and then pour in the syrup. Continue to beat.
- Next, add the butter in small portions and continue to beat well. The butter should be at room temperature.
- Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag and apply to the cupcakes in a swirling motion. Refrigerate the cupcakes for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your chocolate coating or dip by melting it.
- Dunk the top part of the cooled cupcakes into the chocolate, so that the buttercream is covered. Finally, let cool.
Because the topping is so wonderfully fluffy, it appears as though there are delicate clouds resting atop your cupcakes. You might also float above the clouds once you’ve tasted this delicious treat! Feel free to add colorful sprinkles to the chocolate dip before it has completely hardened. Enjoy!