Cinnamon Roll & Vanilla Cream Flower With A Nutella Core
If you like cinnamon rolls, then you're going to love this recipe. Homemade vanilla cream gets sandwiched between 2 layers of delicious homemade cinnamon rolls and baked into the shape of a flower. And did we mention the creamy, chocolaty Nutella core?! Whether you're hosting brunch for all of your favorite sweet tooths, or you want stunning dessert to serve at your next dinner party, this cinnamon roll flower is the treat you need!
Prep Time: 1 hour
Baking Time: 1 hour
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the cinnamon roll flowers:
- 6 puff pastry sheets
- 2 cups cinnamon sugar
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- warm Nutella for the core
For the vanilla cream:
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup corn starch
- ¾ cup whipped cream
1. Roll the puff pastry sheets out next to one another on a clean work surface. Spread a layer of softened butter over the surface of each one, then sprinkle a layer of cinnamon sugar on top.
2. Slice each puff pastry sheet into 3 equally sized strips, then roll 9 of the strips up into one large roll, using a wooden skewer to help. Repeat this same process with the second half of puff pastry sheet strips. Transfer the giant cinnamon rolls to the refrigerator and let them chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Remove the wooden skewer, then slice the giant cinnamon rolls 3 times each, stopping before you cut all the way through.
4. Fold the different sections of the cinnamon rolls out onto each baking tray in the shape of a flower. Use a small drinking glass to cut a small hole in the center of the cinnamon roll flowers, leaving the glass in the center of one of them.
5. Transfer the baking trays to the oven and bake the cinnamon roll flowers at 350°F for 45 minutes. While the cinnamon rolls are baking, make the vanilla cream. Heat up the milk in a pot on the stove, add in the vanilla extract, and bring the mixture to a boil. Mix together the egg yolks, sugar, and corn starch, then gradually add in the milk mixture. Whisk everything together, pour it through a fine sieve into the pot on the stove, and bring the mixture to a boil again, stirring continuously. Once the mixture has thickened, remove it from the heat, pour it into a new container, and let it cool down to room temperature. Once it has cooled, fold in the whipped cream, then transfer the vanilla cream to the refrigerator and let it chill for 30 minutes. Transfer the chilled vanilla cream to a piping bag and pipe it onto each petal of the cinnamon roll flower without a glass in the center, then place the second cinnamon roll flower on top. Heat up some Nutella in the microwave or on the stove, remove the glass from the center of the cinnamon roll flower and pour the Nutella inside.
Not only is this cinnamon roll flower stunning, it tastes even more delicious than traditional cinnamon rolls do. Move over icing, we've got homemade vanilla cream and Nutella instead!