Bow Down To This Creamy Chocolate Vanilla Lattice Cake
If you've been dying to make something really impressive for your monthly book club meeting or just want to be the highlight of conversation in the company break room, take note, because this unique recipe with cream and bananas will guarantee you'll be the talk of the town, in the best way possible.
For the cake lattice:
- 6 egg yolks
- 1½ fl oz oil
- 2½ fl oz water
- 5½ oz sugar
- 6½ oz flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- 1½ oz cocoa powder
For the filling:
- 14 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 5⅓ oz sugar
- 7 oz whipped cream
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 vanilla sponge cake
- 1 chocolate sponge cake
1. To create the cake batter, beat the egg yolks, sugar, water, and oil together until frothy, and then slowly stir in the flour mixed with the baking powder. Divide the mass into two equal parts and mix one of the two halves with the cocoa powder. Stiffly beat the egg whites and evenly fold it into both batters. Pour the light batter into one sheet pan and the dark batter into another sheet pan, and bake both pans at 350°F for 6-8 minutes.
2. Carefully remove the cakes from the pans and let them cool under a damp cloth – this will make them springy and prevent them from crumbling when you start weaving the lattice. Use a ruler to cut thin, uniform strips out of the cake. Cover your work surface with a layer of plastic wrap and alternate the light and dark strips to create a beautiful lattice.
3. Gently lift up the plastic wrap with the finished lattice and let it slide into a bowl.
4. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla extract together and then fold in the whipped cream. Spread a portion of the cream over the lattice in the bowl, place banana slices on top of it, and then cover with more cream.
5. Place the vanilla sponge cake on the cream layer. Top with a layer of cream, banana slices, more cream, and finally the chocolate sponge cake.
6. Fold the overlapping lattice strips over the chocolate sponge cake, wrap the entire thing in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Afterwards, slowly flip the cake over, and...
7. Voilà – a true dream of a cake!
What a perfect afternoon treat! Just add another cop of coffee, and your day will be perfect.