Our Chocolate Unicorn Cake with sweet buttercream will leave you entranced
What's the most important thing for your little one's birthday party? The cake, of course! But before you head to the nearest confectioner, it's worth checking out this fairytale-inspired masterpiece. Don't be put off by the intricate design though — our Chocolate Unicorn Cake only requires a few easy steps...
For the dough:
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- ⅗ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 8.8 oz butter
For the buttercream and decoration:
- 26.5 oz butter
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2⅔ cups cream cheese
- food coloring
- fondant in white, pink, and black
- First beat the sugar and eggs together until frothy. Now add and mix in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. After folding in the butter, your dough should now be ready.
- Spoon the dough mix into a rectangular baking tin (a brownie pan is perfect for this) and smooth it out using a dough scraper. Now bake the dough at 340°F for 25 minutes.
- Remove the cooled cake from the baking tin and cut it in the following way. First make a vertical cut a third of the way along the cake. Then make a horizontal cut two thirds down the smaller piece. Now cut the smallest piece in half vertically down the middle. The two smallest pieces act as the legs underneath the body, the largest piece. The second largest piece is the head and can be placed above the body slightly to one side.
- For the buttercream, mix the butter and icing sugar together using an electric whisk. Then use the dough scraper to fold in the cream cheese, which should be the same temperature as the butter. Now remove about ⅕ of the buttercream. Color about half of it using some red or pink food coloring.
- Add the white buttercream to a piping bag with a star-shaped spout and cover the entire body, the back of the head, and the top of the legs with dabs of icing. Dab spots of colored buttercream on the areas that aren't covered (muzzle and feet).
- Color the rest of the buttercream using different types of food coloring to create a bright rainbow for the unicorn's mane and tail. Use a palette knife to spread the different colors and create a softer transition. Now use white and pink fondant to create ears and a horn for your unicorn. To finish, give your unicorn a pair of eyes and a friendly smile using black fondant.
Giddyup! Now dig in before your fabulous unicorn disappears into the fairytale forest! While this cake may be intended for kids, even adults can't help joining in on the fun. Enjoy!