Chocolate Rice Pudding Cake Filled With A Cherry Compote
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the white chocolate shells:
- 1½ cups white chocolate chips, melted
- 6 oranges
- melted milk chocolate for decoration
For the chocolate rice pudding cake:
- 2½ cups uncooked white rice
- ½ gallon milk
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups cocoa powder
- 6 eggs
- ¾ stick butter, melted
- orange zest to garnish
For the cherry compote:
- 2 lbs cherries
- 3 tbsp sugar
- fresh pressed orange juice
1. For the chocolate rice pudding cake batter, add the uncooked white rice, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract to a pot over medium heat, bring to a boil, and cook for about 15 minutes, making sure to regularly stir the mixture. Once the rice pudding has cooled down, add the cocoa powder, eggs, and melted butter to the mixture and mix well. For the white chocolate shells, dip each orange halfway into the melted white chocolate and let the chocolate set.
2. Carefully remove the white chocolate shells from the oranges and set them aside for later. Cut 3 of the oranges in half, squeeze out the orange juice, and set it aside for later. Place the 6 orange halves upside-down in a greased springform cake pan. Pour the chocolate rice pudding cake batter over the halved oranges in the springform cake pan, transfer the pan to a preheated oven, and cook at 350°F for 1 hour 20 minutes.
3. For the cherry compote, pit the cherries and caramelize the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the pitted cherries and fresh pressed orange juice that you set aside earlier to the pan and let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes, making sure to regularly stir the mixture, until a juicy cherry compote forms. Remove the halved orange peels from the chocolate rice pudding cake and spoon the cherry compote into the wells.
4. Place the white chocolate shells on top of the wells filled with cherry compote and garnish the cake with orange zest.
5. Pour melted milk chocolate over the white chocolate shells to reveal the surprise ingredient inside!