There's No Better Way To Celebrate Than With A Chocolate Donut Cake
It's always hard to say no to donuts. Whether glazed or covered in chocolate, you simply can't beat these ring-shaped treats when hunger strikes. So if you're a donut fan, you're going to love this very special recipe — there'll be more than enough to go round, too!
For the donuts:
- 14 oz flour
- 1.5 oz butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 oz sugar
- 6 oz sour cream
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
For the chocolate cream:
- 24 fl oz cream
- 2 oz cocoa powder
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- 2 oz powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate sauce:
- 4 fl oz cream
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate, chopped up
You'll also need:
- oil for frying
- Use an electric whisk to work all of the ingredients for the donuts into a firm dough. Place the dough in the fridge for one hour before rolling it out on a floured work surface.
- Cut out the donuts using a round cookie cutter. Though smaller cutters mean more work, the results will be worth it. You can use a small spout to cut out the holes in the donuts.
- Fry both sides of the donuts in hot oil.
- Beat the cream until it is light and airy. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat the cream until it is stiff.
- Places the donuts on a cake plate so that they form a circular base. Fill a piping bag with chocolate cream and start to pipe some cream into the donuts' holes, but leave the inside of the donuts along the edge free of cream. The outer donuts should only be half covered when you add a layer of cream on top. Place several more donut layers on top with chocolate cream in between.
- For the sauce, heat up the cream and melt the chocolate in it while stirring. Once the mixture cools to room temperature, pour it on top of the cake. Decorate the cake with any remaining donuts and sparkly sugar sprinkles.
Wow, what a beauty! Be sure to take some time to admire your donutty masterpiece before digging in. This special cake is certainly the right choice for birthday parties and any other important occasions. Give it a try!