Chocolate Crepe Log
What's the one thing that's guaranteed to put you in a good mood? Most people's answer to this question would probably be chocolate. Others might say cake, and an even more niche choice would be something like a cake roll. And that's exactly what we're making today, in fact, we're making the most chocolatey crepe roll cake to ever grace the internet, so go ahead and check out this recipe!
Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Difficulty Level: Advanced
For the chocolate crepe batter:
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ stick butter, melted
For the chocolate cream:
- ¾ stick butter, softened
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup melted semi-sweet chocolate
For the chocolate coating:
- 1½ cups milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
For the decoration:
- chocolate flakes
1. For the chocolate crepe batter, add the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract to a bowl, sift in the flour and cocoa powder, add the milk and melted butter, and mix until smooth.
2. Pass the crepe batter through a sieve to make sure that there are no bubbles or clumps. Then pour the batter into a hot square pan and make 6 chocolate crepes.
3. For the chocolate cream, add the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and melted chocolate to a bowl and mix well.
4. Lay out the first crepe on a smooth surface.
5. Spread some of the chocolate cream over the first crepe.
6. Partially roll up the crepe.
7. Place the next crepe on the open crepe and spread chocolate cream over it.
8. Continue this process until all 6 crepes are covered with chocolate cream and then roll it all up.
9. Place the crepe roll on a piece of parchment paper, roll it up, twist the ends like the wrapper of a piece of hard candy, and refrigerate the roll for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
10. Remove the parchment paper from the crepe roll and cut off the ends on either side to make straight edges. Place the crepe roll on a cooling rack inside of a baking tray and pour the tempered chocolate coating evenly over the roll.
11. Immediately decorate the crepe roll with chocolate flakes to make it look like a tree log.
12. Refrigerate the chocolate crepe log for 30 minutes before serving.
Get the recipe for the German Tree Cake featured in the bonus video.