Caramel Popcorn Pie With A Chocolate Mousse Filling
For most people, going to the movies is a treat. So to make it really count, a giant tub of popcorn is an absolute must. But just in case you want to recreate that movie theater experience we all know and love in the comfort of your own home, we have exactly what you're looking for: a caramel popcorn pie with a sweet and smooth chocolate mousse center. But don't take our word for it, see for yourself!
For the popcorn:
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels (makes about 8 cups popped)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the caramel:
- 1 tbsp butter
- ⅔ cup simple syrup
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
For the chocolate mousse:
- 16 oz dark chocolate
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1⅔ cups heavy cream
For the icing:
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp water or lemon juice
1. First get started on the popcorn. Pour the vegetable oil into a large skillet or pot, add the popcorn kernels, cover with a lid, and cook over medium heat. Make sure the popcorn kernels aren't too crowded. Once the popping sound of the individual kernels starts taking more than 3 seconds between pops, turn off the heat.
2. To make the caramel, add the simple syrup and brown sugar to a saucepan. Heat everything slowly and stir until the brown sugar is completely dissolved. Then stir in the butter. Add the popcorn to a mixing bowl, pour the caramel over it, and mix until all the popcorn is coated in caramel.
3. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray and add the caramel popcorn. Use a greased glass and to create an indent in the middle of the pan and ensure that the caramel popcorn along the edges is the same height as the pan.
4. To make the chocolate mousse, first melt the dark chocolate. Whip the heavy cream with the eggs until frothy and mix in the powdered sugar. Gradually fold in the melted chocolate, making sure there aren't any clumps. Then spoon the chocolate mousse into the indent in the middle of the pan and smooth it out with a spatula.
5. For the icing, mix the powdered sugar with lemon juice. Pour it into a small piping bag and pipe it in thin lines on top of the chocolate mousse. Then use a wooden skewer to draw lines through the icing.
This is THE perfect pie for all the true popcorn lovers out there. What makes this one so delicious is the textural contrast between the light and fluffy chocolate mousse and the crunchy caramel popcorn – it's the perfect way to enhance any movie night!
Get the recipe for the Kit Kat Brownie Cheesecake featured in the bonus video.