Caramel Flan Loaf With A Chocolate Base
Most people associate flan with the delicious sweet treat you get at the end of a meal at a Mexican restaurant, but flan is popular in lots of places all over the world. Now usually flan is no bigger than a couple of spoonfuls, but sometimes more is more! And so we decided to enlarge the humble little flan and turned it into a giant caramel flan loaf – and we even added a chocolate layer as the base for added deliciousness. This one is crazy good, so give it a try!
For the caramel:
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
For the custard layer:
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
- 1⅓ cups sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
For the chocolate base:
- ⅓ cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites + 3 tbsp sugar, whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and prepare the caramel. In a pot, bring the sugar and water to a boil and wait until the sugar turns golden brown and the caramel starts to thicken up a little bit. Now pour the caramel into the loaf pan and let it cool.
2. For the custard layer, add the egg yolks, eggs, sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and milk to a bowl and whisk well until combined. Pour the mixture over the caramel in the loaf pan.
3. For the chocolate base, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Add the flour, cocoa powder, milk, baking powder, vegetable oil, baking soda, vanilla extract, and salt to the egg yolks and mix with a hand mixer. Add the sugar to the egg whites, whisk until stiff peaks start to form, and then gently fold the meringue into the chocolate egg yolk mixture.
4. Pour the chocolate base over the custard layer in the loaf pan. Fill a deep baking tray with water, place the loaf pan in the middle, transfer the baking tray to the oven, and bake for 90 minutes. Refrigerate the flan overnight and then flip it over on a nice serving platter the next day.
This has to be one of the easiest ways to make a super tasty dessert. From now on, we will only accept flan if it comes in the shape of a giant loaf and has a chocolate base. Out with the old, in with the new! Flantastic!
Get the recipe for the Caramel Walnut Flan featured in the bonus video.