Chocolate & Cherry Ring Cake Is Twice As Nice
What do you do when you want a cheesecake, a chocolate cake and a ring cake all at the same time? Not forgetting that a little fruit in the whole thing would really give it that extra kick of freshness! Well, it may sound like a fantasy, but we've found a way to turn it into sweet, tasty reality.
For the dough:
- 16 cocktail cherries
- 1 cup butter
- 8 fl oz water
- 7 oz dark chocolate
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking power
- 2 eggs
For the cream cheese filling:
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the cherry filling:
- 1 jar of cherries
For the decoration:
- powdered sugar
- Grease a ring cake pan and place pairs of cocktail cherries in all the large dips in the mold.
- Put butter, water and dark chocolate in a pan and heat the ingredients until you have produced a uniform chocolate mixture.
- Pour the chocolate into a large bowl, which should already contain the flour. Now add the sugar, baking powder and eggs and blend with an electronic whisk to produce a consistent dough.
- Take a tablespoon and transfer half of the mixture into the cake pan. First, cover the cherries with a layer of dough, before fully covering the bottom of the pan with mixture. This stops the cherries from slipping out of place as you fill the pan.
- To prepare the cream cheese filling, blend all the ingredients into a smooth cream. Place the filling on top of the cake dough, but take care that it doesn't touch the sides of the pan at any point.
- To make the cherry filling, drain the cherries and heat their juice with starch until it thickens. Add the cherries back in and then add the filling on top of the cream cheese layer. Again, take care that the filling doesn't touch the sides of the cake pan.
- Finally, use a tablespoon to cover the cherry filling with the other half of dough mixture. Then bake the cake for 60 minutes at 320°F. Once the cake is baked and has cooled down, you can decorate it with icing.
So there you have it! All your cake fantasies fulfilled! And congratulations if you can stop after only one slice. The great thing about ring cakes is that there's always plenty to go round. Why not take this along to the next school bake sale or for celebrating your birthday at the office? Get stuck in!