Chicken Sandwich Pie
When you hear the word pie, toast probably isn't the next word that comes to mind. Imagining what a combination these two things might add up to, you also might not immediately think of the word tasty either. But just wait until you try this mouthwatering recipe! Along with chicken breast, tender vegetables, and assorted cheeses, the toast will reveal its true potential!
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- 3 oz sweet corn
- 3 oz cooked peas
- salt & pepper to taste
- 21 slices of bread
- 5 oz ketchup
- 7 oz cream cheese
To grease the pan:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 oz shredded mozzarella
- 3 oz grated parmesan
1. First shred the two chicken breasts on a chopping board. You can do this best with so-called bear claws.
2. Put the shredded chicken in a large bowl, add the the sweet corn, peas and season with salt and pepper to taste. Then mix everything thoroughly.
3. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with vegetable oil and cut the crusts off of all the slices of bread. You can do this faster if you always lay two on top of each other.
4. Arrange 7 slices around the edge of the pan. Cut equal-sided triangles from the rest of the slices. Use these to line the bottom of the pan. In total, 7 triangles should fit in the pan. Using the triangular offcuts from the slices, you can also make more triangles for the second layer of bread.
5. Use a spoon to spread half of the ketchup evenly over the bread on the bottom of the pan. Then spread a layer of cream cheese on top. Use a little less than half of the total amount for this. Spread half of the chicken mix on top of the cheese.
6. Repeat these steps, putting down another layer of bread, then ketchup, cream cheese and chicken mixture on top of each other. However, keep about 7 tbsp of cream cheese for later. Sprinkle the mozzarella and the parmesan on top of your creation as a garnish. Then dab some cream cheese on the pie, one for each slice of bread. Next, fold each slice carefully inwards. The cream cheese should help them stick better to the upper surface of the pie.
7. Now bake the pie for 15 minutes at 350°F. For the last step: admire your work, then eat it, preferably when it's still warm.
It's hard to say whether this dish of tasty layers is really a pie. Maybe it's actually a round sandwich? Or a toast lasagna? Ultimately, it doesn't really matter, because the most important thing is that this tasty treat melts on your tongue and leaves you feeling full and satisfied.
And if you still want more tasty mains that riff on the idea of a toasted sandwich, give our Club Sandwich Roll a try.