Chicken Pastry Pies – Warm & Delicious
Trying to persuade your kids to eat more veggies? Just tell them you're making PIE for dinner!
You'll Need (for 2):
- puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 diced onion
- 3 oz chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 sautéed chicken breast
- 2 tbsp flour
- Using a small bowl, cut out four equal-sized circles from the puff pastry. On two of the circles, use a smaller bowl to make a circular imprint within the larger circle. Do not remove these smaller circles. Separate the egg, and brush all four circles with the yolk. Place the two circles with imprints on top of the two without.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 375°F. After baking, remove the top of the two pastries.
- Melt the butter in a pot and add the carrots, onion, celery, garlic and salt and pepper. Stir well before pouring in the vegetable stock. Add the diced potato, cover the pot, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Now add the chicken breast.
- Transfer the flour to a small bowl and add a bit of vegetable stock. Mix well before pouring the mixture back into the pot. Finally, stir in the parsley.
- Spoon the chicken veggie soup into the pastries and cover with the pastry "hats."
No matter how you choose to fill them, these mini pastry pies will look (and taste!) like works of art. Enjoy!