Chicken Nugget Casserole With Bacon, Cheese, And Mashed Potatoes
This recipe combines true childhood favorites and turns them into one delicious casserole – it's a chicken nugget casserole with mashed potatoes, bacon, and cheese! But how do all these ingredients come together into one balanced and hearty dish? Well, we're cutting chicken nuggets in half, filling them with camembert cheese, wrapping them in bacon, and then gently tucking them into a bed of mashed potatoes. Add some homemade sauce and shredded cheese on top, and boy oh boy, you've got yourself a truly epic casserole that's definitely going to make you go back for seconds!
For the mashed potatoes:
- 1½ lbs potatoes
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 egg
For the stuffed chicken nuggets:
- 9 chicken nuggets
- 9 camembert slices
- 18 bacon slices
For the tomato pepper sauce:
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- 3 oz corn
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7 oz crushed tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- casserole dish
1. Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water. Drain the water and transfer the potatoes to a casserole dish. Add the egg and corn starch and mash everything with a fork. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly in the casserole dish.
2. Cut the chicken nuggets in half horizontally and place a small piece of camembert between the two halves. Wrap the stuffed nugget in 2 slices of bacon, lengthwise and crosswise.
3. Briefly fry the bacon-wrapped nuggets in a pan on both sides and let them cool before arranging them in rows of 3 on top of the mashed potatoes.
4. Preheat the oven to 325°F and get started on the tomato pepper sauce. Fry the onions and garlic in a little bit of oil and add the corn and bell peppers. Sautée everything briefly and then add the crushed tomatoes before letting the sauce simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and pour the sauce in between the bacon-wrapped nuggets on the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella on top and then put the casserole in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
This is the ultimate casserole, the casserole of your dreams... we could keep going, but why keep you from going into the kitchen and trying it for yourself? This is sure to be your new go-to casserole recipe, just you wait!
Get the recipe for the Chicken Leg Pie featured in the bonus video.