Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks In A Bed Of Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
For the chicken legs:
- 9 chicken drumsticks
- 3 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp BBQ seasoning
- 18 slices of bacon
For the pie base:
- 5 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 tbsp melted butter
For the cheesy mashed potatoes:
- 4 lbs cooked potatoes
- ¾ stick butter
- ¾ cup warm milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp parsley
- salt, pepper & nutmeg to taste
- 3 oz shredded cheese
- 4 tbsp crispy fried onions
- square 9x9 inch springform pan
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Mix the paprika, BBQ seasoning, and chili powder together and coat the chicken drumsticks with the spice rub.
2. Wrap 2 slices of bacon around each chicken drumstick, place the drumsticks on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, and cook for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the bread crusts and line the bottom of the springform pan with the bread slices. Brush melted butter over the bread, place the pan in the oven, and cook at 350°F for 10 minutes.
4. Mash the cooked potatoes and mix them with butter and warm milk. Add the egg yolks and parsley, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and mix well.
5. Spread the mashed potatoes over the toasted bread and smooth out the top.
6. Press the cooked chicken drumsticks into the mashed potatoes.
7. Sprinkle cheese on top, put the pan back in the oven, and cook at 350°F for another 25 minutes. Garnish the finished chicken leg pie with crispy fried onions.
You can find the recipe for the Cheesy Chicken Legs featured in the bonus video here.