Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
With this chicken cordon bleu lasagna, it's hard to choose where to look first and what to taste first. This dish is a sumptuous combination of stuffed chicken breast, tomato sauce, ricotta cream, ham, and mozzarella – basically, we've combined the most delicious ingredients in an unforgettable recipe that will simultaneously fill and wow a crowd!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the chicken cordon bleu lasagna:
- tomato sauce, divided
- 6 stuffed chicken breasts, divided
- 6 slices of ham, divided
- ricotta cream, divided
- 6 slices of mozzarella cheese
- pesto & toasted pine nuts to garnish
For the stuffed chicken breasts:
- 6 medium chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups bread crumbs + 1 tbsp oregano + 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese for the breading mixture
For the tomato sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
For the ricotta cream:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp nutmeg
1. For the stuffed chicken breasts, butterfly the raw chicken breasts, place plastic wrap on top, and pound the chicken breasts until they're flat. Remove the plastic wrap, sprinkle ⅓ of the shredded mozzarella cheese over 1 side of each butterflied chicken breast, fold the other side of the chicken breast back over the cheese, and firmly squeeze the edges together.
2. Coat the stuffed chicken breasts in flour, egg, and the breading mixture and fry the breaded chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown.
3. For the tomato sauce, heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the crushed tomatoes, season with oregano, and let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes. Spread some of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a casserole dish and top with 3 stuffed chicken breasts. Place a slice of ham on top of each chicken breast.
4. For the ricotta cream, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, and nutmeg. Spread a layer of the mixture over the ham slices.
5. Top the ricotta cream layer with another layer of tomato sauce, followed by the 3 remaining stuffed chicken breasts. Top the stuffed chicken breasts with 3 slices of ham, a layer of ricotta cream, and a final layer of tomato sauce.
6. Place the mozzarella cheese slices on top of the tomato sauce to create the last layer. Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil, transfer the dish to a preheated oven, and cook at 350°F for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and let the dish cook uncovered for another 15 minutes until the cheese layer is golden brown. Garnish the dish with pesto and toasted pine nuts before serving.
This recipe is the ultimate treat for your taste buds! Chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella, tomato sauce, ricotta cream, ham, and mozzarella – all you need now is a great group of people to enjoy it with.
Get the recipe for the Layered Lasagna Tower featured in the bonus video.