Chicago-Style Hot Dog Burgers Are Fast Food At Its Finest
The Windy City may be best known for it's deep-dish pizza, but the Chicago-style hot dog isn't too far behind. Famous for its toppings of ketchup, mustard, diced onions, tomato slices, relish, and pickles, the Chicago dog is a delicious institution known world-wide. But if there's one thing the beloved ballpark snack is missing, it's the other American classic: the hamburger. That's where we come in! You no longer need to choose which option you want for dinner, because've combined them in one mouthwatering recipe.
For the hamburger:
- 1 hot dog
- 9 oz ground beef
- 1 hamburger bun
- fresh onion, diced
- fresh tomato, sliced
For the marinade:
- 3½ fl oz beer
- 1½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- oil for cooking
1. Cut the ends off the hot dog and then cut it in half. Stick a straw through each hot dog half and use a knife to create a spiral cut, as shown in the video.
2. Use two plastic lids (⌀ 6 inch) or an extra large hamburger press to create a hamburger patty from the ground beef.
3. Stir the beer, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, and garlic powder together and brush the marinade over the hamburger patty.
4. Heat some oil in a coated pan and fry the patty on both sides until cooked through. Then roast the hot dog spirals and hamburger bun for a few minutes.
5. Now assemble the burger! Put some ketchup on the bottom bun and then add the hamburger patty. Put the hot dog spirals on top of the patty and then top off with mustard, ketchup, relish, diced onions, tomato slices, and pickles. Throw on the top bun and you're good to go!
If you want an even more authentic Chicago hot dog burger, you can make your own homemade bun with poppy seeds. Yummy!
You can find the recipe for the French Fry Burger featured in the bonus video here.