Cheesy Potato Roll With A Ground Beef Filling
We're totally on a roll with this recipe – on a potato roll, that is! A cheesy, crispy potato exterior and juicy, tangy ground beef filling come together to make this potato roll an unforgettable recipe you and your family will keep coming back to.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the potato roll:
- 4 large potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley for the topping
For the ground beef filling:
- 1½ lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 2 tbsp paprika
- ⅓ cup tomato sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly. Line a baking tray with baking paper, then sprinkle ½ of the shredded mozzarella on top. Lay the sliced potatoes on top of the shredded mozzarella until the baking tray is completely covered.
2. Pour a thin layer of olive oil over the layer of potatoes and sprinkle with salt. Transfer the baking tray to the oven and bake the potato layer at 325°F for 40 minutes. While the potatoes are baking, get started on the filling. Chop the onions, green pepper, and mince the garlic. Heat up a pan on the stove, then fry the ground beef briefly. Add in the onion, green peppers, and garlic then spice the mixture with cumin, thyme, paprika, and salt. Add in the tomato paste and tomato sauce, stir everything together, and let it cooke for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Take the potatoes out of the oven and let them cool briefly. Turn up the heat in the oven to 350°F, then spread the ground beef filling evenly on top of the layer of potatoes. Sprinkle the remainer of the mozzarella cheese on top, then use the baking paper to help roll everything up into a snug log.
3. Transfer the baking tray back to the oven and bake the cheesy potato roll at 350°F for for 10 mintues. Once it has baked, remove the potato roll from the oven and sprinkle chopped parsley on top.
Between the cheesy, crispy potatoes and delicious saucy ground beef filling, this potato roll can't be beat. The whole family will love each and every bite!