Low-Carb Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers Are The Way To Go
Summer may be over, but you may not be ready to say goodbye to your beach body just yet. The days are cooler, the nights are chilly, and the desire for comfort food grows, but there's no reason you can't satisfy that craving and stick to your low-carb meal plan or keto diet. A delicious cheesy casserole is always a good way to go, but what if you'd prefer smaller, bite-sized treats that are both healthy and indulgent? Here comes the perfect combination: tasty bell peppers stuffed with juicy steak and loaded with ooey, gooey cheese. Now that's a diet we can get on board with!
- 3 red bell peppers
- 3 green bell peppers
- olive oil
- 9 oz mushrooms
- 10 oz beef steak, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- vegetable oil for frying
- 12 thin mozzarella slices
1. Cut the bell peppers in half, remove the cores, and place them face up in a casserole or baking dish. Drizzle a little olive oil over each pepper half and season with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 320°F.
2. Heat some oil in a pan. Clean the mushrooms, cut them into slices, and fry them together with the sliced onion and chopped garlic.
3. Add the steak slices and season them well with salt and pepper. Cook everything until the meat is cooked through, yet still tender.
4. Dress each pepper half with one slice of mozzarella cheese. Feel free to substitute provolone cheese for a true Philly taste.
5. Carefully fill the pepper halves with the steak mixture.
6. Cover the stuffed peppers with the 6 remaining mozzarella slices and bake for 20 minutes at 320°F.
7. Remove the dish from the oven and sprinkle fresh parsley over the stuffed peppers.