Cheese Fondue Casserole With Toast, Bacon, Mashed Potatoes & Ground Beef
Cheese fondue is arguably one of the best things to ever come out of Switzerland. We all know that dunking bread into ooey-gooey cheese is one of life's greatest pleasures, so why not combine this beloved Swiss dish with a true American classic: the casserole. Yep, that's right, we're talking layers upon layers of melted cheese, oven-roasted bread, silky-smooth mashed potatoes, and perfectly seasoned ground beef. This is the fusion dish you've been waiting for.
For the toast layer:
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- grated butter
For the ground beef layer:
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- salt & pepper to taste
For the mashed potato layer:
- 3 lbs floury potatoes
- 1¼ sticks butter
- nutmeg, salt & pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 6 small brie or camembert wheels
- 4 oz bacon, diced
For the dipping sticks:
- 6 whole wheat bread crusts
- melted butter
For the cookware:
- 9 x 13-inch casserole dish
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and boil the peeled potatoes. Add the butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the cooked potatoes and mash until smooth. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and set aside for now.
2. Dice the onions, sauté in a little bit of oil in a pan over medium heat until soft and add the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Stack up 6 pieces of whole wheat bread and cut off the crusts. Spread the bread crusts on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and brush melted butter over the bread. Cook for 5 minutes at 400°F.
4. Line the bottom of a casserole dish with the 6 crustless pieces of bread.
5. Grate some butter over the bread, put the casserole dish in the oven, and cook at 400°F for 5 minutes. Afterwards, reduce the oven heat to 350°F for later.
6. Cover the bread with the ground beef and spread evenly.
7. Spread the mashed potatoes over the ground beef and smooth out the top.
8. Cut the brie cheese wheels in half and press them into the mashed potatoes, making sure they're distributed evenly.
9. Dice the bacon and sprinkle the pieces on top. Put the casserole dish back in the oven and cook at 350°F for 25 minutes. Cut the finished casserole into cheesy pieces and serve with the oven-roasted dipping sticks. This recipe is sure to satisfy all of your cheese cravings!
You can find the recipe for the Potato & Cheese Meatloaf Featured in the bonus video here.