Cauliflower Sausage Casserole: Spicy Bratwurst & Cubed Potatoes In A Creamy Cauliflower Sauce
A hearty casserole – or really any baked dish – is always a popular dinner choice, especially in the colder months. This unique dish certainly fits in that category, and you'll love the genius combination of filling vegetables, tender bratwurst, melted cheese, and a creamy sauce. Dig in!
- 8 bratwursts
- 14 oz potatoes
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 7 fl oz milk
- salt & pepper
- 6 oz shredded cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Squeeze each bratwurst out of its casing, form little sausage balls from the meat, and fry the balls in a hot pan. Evenly spread out the cooked bratwurst balls in a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
2. Peel the potatoes, cut them into small cubes, and cook them in a pot of salted water for about 5 minutes. Spread the cooked potato cubes around the casserole dish.
3. Cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces and boil the florets in salted water for about 5 minutes – be sure to save the water for later. Spread the cooked potato cubes around the casserole dish.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Add two ladles of the cauliflower water and whisk the roux until it begins to boil. Stir in the milk, add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste, and bring to a boil.
5. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower, sprinkle cheese on top, and bake for 20 minutes.
Cauliflower is all the rage right now, so take advantage of the food trend with this tasty dish that everyone will love.
You can find the recipe for the Cauliflower Monte Cristo Casserole featured in the bonus video here.