Cauliflower crust: a healthy new spin on traditional pizza!
Many families embrace weekly traditions such as a game night, a Sunday excursion, or even a special evening for ordering pizza. And while a hot steamy pizza straight from the box is hard to resist, there's now a healthier spin on traditional crust that's growing in popularity! For your next family night, buy some cauliflower and prepare your own pizza, right at home. Sound strange? This incredible recipe will satisfy even the most die-hard pizza fan!
You will need:
For the crust:
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 oz parmesan
- 2 oz mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp.oregano
- salt and pepper
- ground paprika
- 1 garlic clove
For the topping:
- pizza sauce
- grated cheese
- vegetables of choice
- Remove the leaves and stalk from the head of cauliflower and chop the florets well.
- Place the chopped cauliflower in a bowl, cover with a microwave-safe lid, and microwave for 10 minutes. By covering, you protect the cauliflower from drying out.
- Using a fork, mash the cauliflower well. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, and squeeze the cauliflower until there is no more excess water.
- Place the mashed cauliflower back into the bowl, and add the parmesan, mozzarella, eggs, oregano, salt, pepper, ground paprika, and minced garlic. Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet, ideally a pizza pan, with baking paper, spoon the cauliflower mixture onto the paper and press into a round form.
- Bake the crust for 12 minutes at 355 °F.
- After baking, add your pizza sauce, vegetables, and grated cheese. Bake the pizza at the same temperature for another 20 minutes.
By looking at it, you'd never be able to tell that this pizza wasn't made from traditional dough! Though the cauliflower crust does take some time to prepare, the result is worth every minute spent. Veggies have never tasted so good. Enjoy!