Cauliflower Cordon Bleu
Cordon bleu is a classic dish, traditionally served as a tender chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese. It's one of our favorite meals, so we decided to find a way to make it a little bit healthier and a lot easier to make. Instead of going with chicken, we're using a delicious cauliflower coating that gets stuffed with plenty of ham & cheese and is then deep-fried to golden brown perfection. You'll just love the flavor and texture of this dish – we'd say it definitely deserves a blue ribbon!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
- 8 oz cauliflower, grated
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 egg whites
- seasoning to taste
- 3 slices of ham
- 2 slices of cheese
- 8 basil leaves
- egg & bread crumbs for the breading
1. Combine the grated cauliflower, bread crumbs, grated onion, egg whites, and any seasonings. Let the mixture rest for 30 minutes and then spread it out over a large piece of plastic wrap.
2. Place the ham, cheese, and basil o top of the cauliflower mixture, as shown in the video.
3. Fold the cheese over the basil and then wrap the ham slices around it to create a parcel.
4. Place the ham & cheese parcel on one side of the cauliflower mixture, use the plastic wrap to fold the other side of cauliflower mixture over the ham & cheese parcel, seal the edges of the cauliflower mixture around the ham & cheese parcel inside, and freeze for 30 minutes.
5. Remove the plastic wrap from the cauliflower cordon bleu, dredge it in egg and bread crumbs, and fry in hot cooking oil on both sides until golden brown.
This tender, elegant cauliflower cordon blue is a great alternative to the traditional chicken version. You'll fall in love with every single bite!
Get the recipe for the Sage Brown Butter Cauliflower Gnocchi featured in the bonus video.