Sweet Nut Flan With Crushed Walnuts & Caramel Sauce
Hooray for flan – everyone knows the best desserts are the jiggly ones! Although they can also be served as a savory dish, sweet flan is a popular dessert in Spain and Latin America, so that's what we've decided to whip up today.
- 3 oz sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3 fl oz milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 10 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tbsp chopped walnuts
- lemon zest
- flan pan
- 1 stick of butter to grease the flan pan
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F and grease the flan pan with a stick of butter. Pour the sugar into the pan and gently swirl it back and forth until the butter is completely coated with sugar. Dump the excess sugar into a pot for the next step.
2. Heat the pot over medium heat and let the sugar caramelize. Pour the caramelized sugar back into the flan pan and let it cool down a bit.
3. Add the cream cheese, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sweetened condensed milk, and chopped walnuts to a pot over medium heat and mix well. Add the lemon zest and stir for about 5 minutes.
4. Pour the mixture into the flan pan and place the flan pan in the middle of a deep pan filled with water. Cook for 90 minutes and garnish the finished flan with whole walnuts.
Isn't it delicious how the caramel runs down the flan? The perfect end to a perfect dinner!
You can find the recipe for the Mini Lemon Cakes featured in the bonus video here.