Fluffy Butternut Squash Rolls
We've all had pumpkin bread and roasted butternut squash, but have you ever thought of combining the 2 to make a fluffy butternut squash bun? We have, which is why we created a special bread roll that will go perfectly with all your upcoming fall meals. From Halloween to Thanksgiving – you're in for a real treat!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 3⅓ cups flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- sesame seeds
1. Peel the butternut squash and cut it into thin slices. Add some water to a pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Place a heat-resistant colander in the pot, place the butternut squash slices in the colander, cover the pot with a lid, and steam for 15 minutes.
2. Transfer the steamed butternut squash to a bowl and mash with a fork. Add the egg, sugar, salt, and dry yeast and mix well. Add the flour and vegetable oil and knead the mixture into a smooth dough. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise until it has doubled in size.
3. Knead the dough on a floured surface and shape it into a log. Cut the dough into equally-sized pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Cover the dough balls with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
4. Dip a wooden rod in water and press it into the center of each dough ball. Dip the damp wooden rod in sesame seeds and push it back into the center of each dough ball so that the sesame seeds are transferred to the dough.
5. Heat a pan over medium heat and place 3 dough balls in the pan. Cover the pan with a lid and let the rolls cook for about 3 minutes. Flip the rolls over, place the lid back on the pan, and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat the process with the rest of the dough balls until you have 9 cooked butternut squash rolls.
You won't believe how fluffy these dinner rolls are! And because they're just so darn good, we're also going to eat them at breakfast and lunch... and they will most definitely be making an appearance during our afternoon and midnight snacks!
Get the recipes for the Monkey Bread & Rose Bread featured in the bonus video.