Fluffy Butternut Squash Rolls With Sesame Seeds
We've all had pumpkin bread and roasted butternut squash, but have you ever thought of combining the two to make a fluffy butternut squash bun? We have, which is why we created a special bread roll that will go perfectly with all your upcoming fall meals. From Halloween to Thanksgiving – you're in for a real treat!
You'll Need (for 9):
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp yeast
- 14 oz flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- sesame seeds
1. Peel the butternut squash and cut it into thin slices.
2. Add some water to a pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Place a heat-resistant colander in the pot, place the butternut squash slices in the colander, cover with a lid, and steam for 15 minutes.
3. Transfer the butternut squash to a bowl and mash with a fork.
4. Add the egg, sugar, salt, and yeast and mix until the yeast has completely dissolved. Add the flour and oil and knead the mixture into a smooth dough.
5. Cover the dough and let it rise until it has doubled in size.
6. Knead the dough on a floured surface and then shape it into a roll.
7. Cut the dough into equally-sized pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Cover the dough balls with plastic wrap and let them rise for 30 minutes.
8. Dip a wooden rod in water and press it into the center of each roll.
9. Dip the damp wooden rod in sesame seeds and push it back into the center of each roll so that the sesame seeds are transferred to the dough. Heat a pan over medium heat and cook the rolls on both sides. Only remove the lid from the pan when flipping the rolls, otherwise they will dry out.
You won't believe how fluffy these dinner rolls are! And because they're just so darn good, we're also going to eat them at breakfast and lunch... and they will most definitely be making an appearance during our afternoon and midnight snacks! You can find the recipes for the Herb Cream Cheese Bread & Rose Bread featured in the bonus video here.