Garlic And Herb Butter-Roasted Chicken And Vegetables
Cooking a roast for Sunday dinner is a classic tradition that keeps the whole family happy and satisfied. Of course, your Sunday roast can be made out of roast beef, ham, or turkey, but this recipe for a garlic & herb butter roasted chicken is going to put all other roasts to shame! From the homemade garlic & herb butter coating to the easy side of roasted veggies this chicken is served with, it makes the perfect tender, tasty meal for your next family dinner. This recipe is bound to become one of your household's comfort food classics – you'd butter believe it!
Yield: 2–3 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the chicken:
- 1 whole chicken
- ½ apple, chopped
- ½ orange, chopped
For the garlic & herb butter:
- 13 sticks butter, softened
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp chopped rosemary
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
For the roasted vegetables:
- 7 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 6 potatoes, chopped
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- salt to taste
1. To prepare the chicken, rinse it thoroughly and pat it dry. Season it with salt on both inside and outside, roughly chop up ½ an apple and ½ an orange, and stuff the pieces of fruit inside the chicken.
2. For the garlic & herb butter, beat the softened butter with a hand mixer until it becomes light and fluffy, then add in the minced garlic, chopped herbs, and lemon juice and continue beating until combined.
3. Cover the chicken with the garlic & herb butter and smooth out its surface. Either transfer the garlic & herb butter chicken to the freezer and freeze it for 30 minutes, or transfer it to the refrigerator and let it chill overnight.
4. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Chop the carrots, potatoes, and onions and remove the leaves from the sprig of rosemary. Place the vegetables in a roasting pan and season them with salt and rosemary.
5. Transfer the roasting pan to the oven and place the garlic & herb butter chicken on the oven rack just above the roasting pan. Bake the everything at 300°F for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
6. While the chicken is roasting in the oven, the garlic & herb butter will melt and drip down into the roasting pan, seasoning the roasted vegetables with some incredible flavor.
Covering your chicken in butter might seem a bit strange at first, but it's the perfect technique for keeping your roast tender and juicy. Why wait until Sunday when you can make this garlic & herb butter roasted chicken tonight?