Make 6 Holes In The Toast For This Sandwich. We Promise: It’s Worth It!
Probably the most famous sandwich is served with tea in the English Royal household at 5 o'clock and consists of two slices of bread with butter, thin slices of cucumber and some salt. Much less royal, but all the more heavenly, is the giant sandwich we'll be showing you how to make today!
- 12 slices toasting bread (toasted)
- 14 oz cheese (in slices)
- 10½ oz cooked ham
- 21 oz fresh baby spinach
- 6 slices toasting bread (toasted)
- 6 eggs
For the cheese sauce:
- 17 fl oz milk
- 10½ oz mozzarella (grated)
- 7 oz parmesan (grated)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Place six slices of toast in a deep baking tray and cover them with half the cheese and half the ham, as well as half the spinach. Repeat all these steps for the second layer.
- With the help of a glass, cut a hole in the center of six slices of toast. These toast slices now go in the baking tray as the third layer. Place a raw egg in each of the circular holes in the toast. You can use the leftover toast circles for other purposes.
- Now for the cheese sauce: prepare a roux with the butter and flour and pour in the milk while stirring constantly. Season the sauce with a little salt, pepper and nutmeg. Then mix in the mozzarella and the parmesan until the sauce reaches an even, creamy consistency. Pour the cheese between the slices of toast.
- For the perfect finish, place your giant breakfast sandwich in the oven for 20 minutes at 340°F with the heat set to above and below.
This luxury sandwich is just insane. Spinach has never tasted so good, and when you cut into it, the egg just runs over the filling, divine! Invite all your friends, and you can feast like the gods on Mount Olympus!
And if you still want more indulgently extravagant giant sandwiches, don't forget to try our Lasagna Sandwich.