Savory Breakfast Crepe Pockets Are The Best Way To Start Your Morning
You're probably used to sweet crepes, preferably with Nutella and bananas or strawberries. But you haven't lived until you've had a savory crepe pocket stuffed with ham, cheese, and spinach – and with a fried egg to top it all off! Now this is the breakfast of champions.
You'll Need (for 4):
For the spinach filling:
- oil for cooking
- ½ onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 oz spinach
For the crepes:
- 5 oz flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 12 fl oz milk
- 4 slices of cheese
- 4 slices of ham
- 4 fried eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut the onion into thin strips and fry together with the garlic and spinach.
2. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and mix the flour, eggs, salt, and milk together until smooth. Pour a ladleful (about ¼ cup) of the crepe batter in the pan, swirl the batter around until the entire pan is coated, and cook the crepe on both sides until golden brown (about 2 minutes). Repeat 3 more times for the rest of the crepes.
3. Fry 4 eggs. Place the crepes on a sheet pan and assemble each one with the following layers: spinach filling, slice of cheese, spinach filling, slice of ham, spinach filling, fried egg.
4. Fold the crepes into 4 small pockets.
5. Bake the crepes for 5 minutes and garnish the finished pockets with chives.
And while these hearty crepes are absolutely perfect for breakfast, they also work great for lunch, dinner, or even a midnight snack!
You can find the recipe for the Savory Crepe Cake featured in the bonus video here.