Breakfast Cereal Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty Level: Moderate
For the corn flakes cake:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 8 oz corn flakes, crushed
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup milk
For the chocolate corn flakes base:
- 4 oz corn flakes
- chopped hazelnuts to taste
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the white chocolate lining:
- ½ cup white chocolate chips, tempered
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 2⅔ cups cream cheese, chilled
- ¾ cup whipped cream, chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup honey
For the cake decoration:
- crushed corn flakes
For the milk & cereal filling:
- corn flakes
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tbsp unflavored powdered gelatin
- ½ cup sugar
1. For the corn flakes cake, cream the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer, add in the crushed corn flakes, eggs, baking powder, and milk, and mix until smooth. Pour the cake batter into a round 8 x 4-inch springform pan lined with parchment paper and press a 6-inch ovenproof bowl into the cake batter in the center of the pan until the top of the bowl is level with the cake batter. Transfer the cake pan to a preheated oven and cook at 350°F for 30 minutes. Let the baked cake cool down for 1 hour and then carefully remove the bowl and the springform cake ring.
2. For the chocolate corn flakes base, add the corn flakes and crushed hazelnuts to a pan over medium heat. Grate the semi-sweet chocolate over the corn flakes, drizzle the vegetable oil on top, and cover the pan with a lid. Once the chocolate has begun to melt, stir the contents to combine the ingredients. Once the mixture has hardened into a solid mass, remove the pan from the heat.
3. For the white chocolate lining, pour the tempered white chocolate into the well in the corn flakes cake and brush it over the inner walls.
4. For the cream cheese frosting, add the chilled cream cheese, chilled whipped cream, vanilla extract, and honey to a cold bowl and beat with a hand mixer on the highest setting until smooth and fluffy. Spread the cream cheese frosting over the top and sides of the corn flakes cake, as well as over the top of the chocolate corn flakes base, and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
5. For the cake decoration, wrap a strip of parchment paper around the top of the cake and roll the cake through crushed corn flakes. Place the corn flakes cake on top of the chocolate corn flakes base and carefully remove the strip of parchment paper from the cake.
6. For the milk & cereal filling, pour some corn flakes into the white chocolate-coated well in the corn flakes cake. Heat the milk to 100°F, add the unflavored gelatin powder and sugar, and mix well. Let the mixture cool to room temperature and then pour it over the corn flakes in the well of the cake. Transfer the entire cake to the freezer and freeze for 2-6 hours.
7. Sprinkle some more corn flakes over the milk & cereal filling in the corn flakes cake before serving.
Grab a big spoon and dig in – breakfast has never looked so sweet!