Swiss Cake Roll Made With Leftover Bread
Nobody likes wasting food, but unfortunately, when some foods go bad, it can be hard to salvage them. Luckily, we've found the ultimate way to use leftover bread! The next time you have some day-old bread that you don't know what to do with, try our delicious recipe for a bread Swiss cake roll. This incredible dessert roll is filled with a silky smooth vanilla pudding cream and cherries and gets topped off with a rich chocolate sauce and pistachios. It's just the right amount of sweet for an after-dinner treat!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
For the bread Swiss cake roll:
- 8 oz day-old white bread
- 8 oz day-old rye bread
- 6 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup sugar
- vanilla pudding cream
- 20 cherries
- chocolate sauce & chopped pistachios to garnish
For the vanilla pudding cream:
- 1 cup vanilla pudding
- 2 cups whipped cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Cut the day-old white bread and rye bread into ⅓-inch-thick slices and line the bottom of an 8 x 4-inch casserole dish with some of the white bread slices. Combine the eggs, milk, and sugar and brush the mixture over the bread in the casserole dish.
2. Place a layer of the rye bread slices on top of the white bread slices and brush the egg mixture over the bread. Continue layering white bread slices and rye bread slices, making sure to brush the egg mixture over each layer, until you have used up all of the bread slices. Transfer the casserole dish to a preheated oven and cook at 325°F for 30 minutes. Remove the casserole dish from the oven and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the baked bread loaf from the casserole dish and cut it into thin, even slices.
4. For the vanilla pudding cream, combine the vanilla pudding, whipped cream, and vanilla extract until smooth. Place a large piece of plastic wrap on your work surface, arrange the bread slices in a row so that they overlap, spread the vanilla pudding cream on top, and smooth it out.
5. Place a row of cherries down the middle of the vanilla pudding cream, use the plastic wrap to help roll everything up into a log, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Garnish the bread Swiss cake roll with chocolate sauce and chopped pistachios before serving.
One bite into this Swiss cake roll and both your wallet and your taste buds will be thanking you. You'll love it so much, you'll be counting down the days until your bread goes stale!
Get the recipes for the 12 Fun Bread Designs featured in the bonus video.