Bread Pot Fondue With Hot Dogs – Cheesy Fountain Of Happiness
Sometimes it's the simple memories that we treasure the most: bread, cheese, hotdogs... is there anyone who couldn't be cheered up by this combination when they were a kid? Well the ingredients may be the same, but with a few fancy cooking tricks, we guarantee any party of sensible adults will soon be delighting in this classic fare all over again. And feeling rather sophisticated about it at the same time. After all, it's a fondue!
- 1 wheel of soft cheese (e.g. camembert or brie)
- 2 ready-made circles of pastry dough (12 inches)
- 26 hot dog pieces, each about an inch in length
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Remove one side of the rind from the cheese, cutting carefully so as not to waste any of the cheese itself! Place the wheel in the middle of a circular sheet of pastry dough. Place squares of parchment paper around the cheese wheel and place a second sheet of pastry dough over the top.
- Place 13 hot dog pieces around the perimeter of the top layer of pastry dough and cut tabs in between all the way to the edge of the cheese. Then roll the hot dog pieces to the center.
- Remove the sheets of parchment paper and repeat the hot dog rolling with the bottom layer of pastry dough.
- Brush the entire pastry with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350 °F for 40 minutes.
Now it's time to cut open the center to reveal the melted cheese, pull apart the dough-covered hot dog pieces, dip and enjoy! If you're not feeling like a kid again, you're doing it wrong!