Brain Cupcakes — Bloody Dessert For Die-Hard Zombie Fans
Moaning, they stretch their rotting hands towards you and monotonously repeat the same word: “Brains!” When the dead crawl out of their graves, the living fear for their lives. But what if you can offer the zombies an alternative bloody snack? Maybe then you can hold on to your own brain for a while. Maybe…
You'll Need (for 6):
For the batter:
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- grated lemon peel from half a lemon
- 2/3 cup flour
For the buttercream frosting:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup of butter at room temperature
- raspberry syrup (or another sweet red sauce)
- Place all the ingredients for the batter into a bowl and mix well. Transfer the batter to a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners, and bake for 20 minutes at 355°F.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buttercream. Place a mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water and in it, beat the sugar, egg whites, and pinch of salt.
- Remove from heat and continue to beat until stiff, adding the butter in portions. Make sure the butter is at room temperature, otherwise it cannot mix well with the egg whites. Finally, add as much raspberry syrup as you like!
- Transfer the buttercream to a pastry bag. Once cooled, spread a thin layer of icing over the top of each cupcake. Using the pastry bag, draw squiggly lines with the icing. As a finishing touch, dab on a few more drops of blood, er, I mean raspberry syrup.
“Brain very good,” murmur the zombies with heavy tongues. Before you know it, they want more! Before they crack open your skull, better to leave the rest of the cupcakes and run for the hills!