Introducing the next Christmas cookie star: Braided Cookies
Baking and decorating cookies has to be one of the most beloved Christmas traditions in every household and even the Grinchiest of Grinches will usually take part. (The eating part, in any case!) But as fun as it is to make and pipe out, you don't always have to decorate with sugary icing. Here's a cookie that comes fully decorated, straight from the oven!
You will need:
- 4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 sticks butter
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- Knead together flour, sugar, salt and butter, then add vanilla and eggs and knead further until all the ingredients are mixed into a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, adding cocoa to one portion.
- Roll out both doughs with a rolling pin and cut the dough into long, thin strips.
- Lay the light dough strips out on your working surface so that every second strip is about a half an inch indented from the one next to it.
- Now lay a dark dough strip at a 90° angle over the jutting out edges of the light strips. Then pull the indented light strips over the dark strip so that the ends align with the light strips underneath. Your first row is now complete.
- Fold over the light strips that are under the dark dough strip and place a second dark strip over the remaining light strips. Then replace the strips that were folded over to their original position. Continue with this weaving, alternating the dark strips between rows of light strips.
- When all your strips have been laid and the woven dough is complete, use your favorite cookie cutters to cut out your cookies. Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
Your cookies are now ready to harmonize perfectly with a warm and festive drink. What will yours be?