Braided Pie Crust With Berries & Cream Filling
Whether you call it challah or brioche, everyone loves a sweet, eggy bread. Wanna know what makes it even better? Turning it into pie and braiding the crust. This is one heck of a cute-looking pie that tastes like heaven and is simply divine when slathered with jam. We are proud to present to you this braided beauty with delicious cream filling and topped with fresh berries. This might be the best thing in the world, just saying!
For the yeast dough:
- 4¾ cups flour
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ stick butter, softened
- egg wash (1 whisked egg + 2 tbsp milk)
For the cream filling:
- 16 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- vanilla bean
- powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Add 1 packet of active dry yeast to lukewarm milk and stir until dissolved. Add the flour, egg, sugar, and butter and knead until the dough is smooth and doesn't stick to your hands. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and let rest for 45 minutes.
2. Sprinkle some flour onto a clean counter top, roll out the dough in the shape of a circle, and press a large pot lid right into the middle.
3. Cut the excess dough into small fringes.
4. Braid the fringes as shown in the video, place the dough circle on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper, and let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
5. Use a fork to poke holes in the middle of the dough. Then mix the egg with milk and brush the egg wash over the dough braid.
6. Combine all the ingredients for the filling and spread on the dough inside the circular braid.
7. Put the pie into the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let the braided pie cool and then garnish with fresh berries and powdered sugar before serving.
This circular braided pie looks just like any old pie but packs an extra punch. Not only does the braid make it look super cute, the cream cheese filling and fresh berries are so delicious. It's the best of both worlds! Now get to baking already!
You can find the recipe for the Apple Pudding Pie featured in the bonus video here.