Braided Berries And Cream Pie
Whether you call it challah or brioche, everyone loves a sweet, eggy bread. But do you want to know what makes it even better? Turning it into pie and braiding the crust! This is one heck of a cute-looking pie that tastes like heaven and is simply divine. We are proud to present to you this braided beauty with a delicious vanilla cream filling and topped with fresh berries. This might be the best thing in the world, just saying!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
For the yeast dough:
- 4¾ cups flour
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- ¼ oz active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ stick butter, softened
- 1 whisked egg + 2 tbsp milk for the egg wash
For the vanilla cream filling:
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 vanilla bean
For the decoration:
- mixed berries
- powdered sugar
1. For the yeast dough, add the flour to a large bowl. Dissolve the active dry yeast in lukewarm milk and stir the mixture into the flour, along with the egg, sugar, and butter. Knead the dough until smooth, form it into a ball, cover the bowl, and let sit for 45 minutes.
2. Flour your work surface, roll the dough out into a circle, and place a large pot lid in the middle.
3. Make several vertical incisions in the dough around the pot lid – these will be the fringe pieces.
4. Remove the pot lid from the center section of dough. Choose a section of 3 fringe pieces – #1 is on the left, #2 is in the middle, and #3 is on the right. Fold piece #1 onto the center section of dough at a slight angle to the right, like a slash. Fold piece #3 over piece #1 to form an X. Then fold piece #2 over piece #3. Continue braiding the rest of the fringe pieces in this manner until the entire outer section of dough is braided. Carefully transfer the dough to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and let sit for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Poke several holes in the center section of dough with a fork and brush the egg wash over the outer braided section of dough.
6. For the vanilla cream filling, combine the softened cream cheese, sugar, egg, corn starch, and vanilla and spread the mixture over the center section of dough.
7. Transfer the baking tray to the oven and cook at 325°F for 35 minutes. Once the braided berries & cream pie has cooled, garnish with fresh mixed berries and powdered sugar.
This circular braided pie certainly packs an extra punch. Not only does the braided crust give it an elegant tough, but the vanilla cream filling and mixed berries are so delicious. It's the best of both worlds, so get to baking already!
Get the recipe for the Apple Pudding Pie featured in the bonus video.