Beggar's Chicken: Slow-Baked Chicken Wrapped In Cabbage Leaves & Clay
For the chicken:
- 1 whole chicken (3-4 lbs)
- 1 gallon cold water
- 1 cup salt
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp sesame oil (optional)
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp Chinese rice wine (optional)
For the stuffing:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 3 brown mushrooms, diced
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 1 oz ham, diced
- 1 bunch of green onions
For the coating:
- 3 lbs modeling clay
- 1 savoy cabbage
- cooking twine
1. Combine the water and salt in a large pot and soak the chicken in the brine for 3 hours. After 3 hours, prepare the marinade, rub it evenly on the outside and inside of the chicken, and let the chicken marinate for another 3 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Remove the leaves from the head of cabbage and briefly boil them in water until they are a bit soft. Place one leaf on your work surface and cover it with more leaves to create a circle big enough to envelop the chicken.
3. Place the marinated chicken in the center of the leaves.
4. Fill the chicken cavity with the stuffing.
5. Fold the cabbage leaves around the chicken.
6. Secure the leaves with cooking twine.
7. Coat the chicken in modeling clay.
8. Cook the chicken for 3 hours.
9. Remove the hardened clay.
10. Cut off the cooking twine and open up the cabbage leaves.
Drizzle some of the marinade over the chicken and serve with the remaining stuffing ingredients.
You can find the recipe for the Inside-Out Chicken Cordon Bleu Wrapped In Pastry Crust featured in the bonus video here.