Enjoy A Mediterranean Taste Of Greece With A Beef and Feta Tart
Italy isn't the only place in Southern Europe where you can enjoy the best of Mediterranean cooking — Greece also has a ton to offer! Here's a slightly different take on a delicious Greek specialty with a recipe that's both delicious and easy to follow.
For the pastry:
- 1 portion of puff pastry
For the filling:
- 4 tbsp of oil
- 17.5 oz potatoes
- 17.5 oz ground beef
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3.3 fl oz tomato sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 7 oz feta
- salt and pepper
For the topping:
- 1.75 oz feta
- 1⅔ cups cherry tomatoes
- 8 pepperoncini
- 2-3 tbsp pine nuts
- To prepare the filling, first peel the onion, garlic, and potatoes. Then wash the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. The onion and garlic should also be diced.
- Now it's time to get the pan out. First, heat two tablespoons of oil before adding the ground beef and frying it off. Then add the onion and garlic. To finish, pour the tomato sauce on top and season. You can put the mix in a bowl and leave it to the side for later.
- You'll need another pan for the second part of the filling. Heat two tablespoons of oil and fry the potato cubes for 12 to 15 minutes. Season the potatoes at the end.
- It's now time to prepare the pastry. Cut the puff pastry into a circle and place it in a round baking dish. The puff pastry should be large enough to cover the base and sides of the dish.
- Break up 7 oz of feta and stir it into the sour cream and eggs so that it forms a smooth mixture. Season it with a little salt and pepper.
- For the topping, cut the rest of the feta into cubes, the tomatoes into halves and the pepperoncini into rings.
- Before combining all of the ingredients, preheat the oven to 390°F.
- First, spoon the ground beef and potatoes onto the pastry. Then pour the feta and egg mix on top. To finish, add the feta cubes, cherry tomatoes, pine nuts and pepperoncini on top of the filling. If there's any pastry hanging over the baking dish, it's best to fold it over the filling.
- Now bake your masterpiece on the lowest rack in the oven for about 40 minutes. If you want to cook your pine nuts a little less, you can also add them in after half an hour of baking. We recommend eating the delicious tart straight from the oven!
There you have it — a taste of Greece in your very own kitchen. So how about Athens for your next vacation?