BBQ Beer Slaw Burgers
Have you ever had grilled cabbage? You might think we've lost our marbles, but barbecued cabbage tastes amazing and it's super fun to make! We're putting a whole head of cabbage on a beer can (stay with us), putting that on the grill, and then smothering it in delicious, tangy BBQ sauce. Oh, and there's coleslaw, too. Throw all of that on a burger and you've got yourself something truly special!
You'll Need (for 2):
For the BBQ beer slaw burgers:
- 1 head of red cabbage
- 16 oz beer can
- 2 cups BBQ sauce
- 2 hamburger buns
- 2 hamburgers
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- sliced jalapeños
For the coleslaw:
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- ½ red onion, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Hollow out the red cabbage and set the stalk aside for now.
2. Pour out half of the beer from the can and stick the cabbage head on it.
3. Stand the beer can upright on the grill and baste the cabbage head with BBQ sauce. Grill the cabbage for about 30-50 minutes and brush it with BBQ sauce again after 15 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the size of the cabbage.
4. Take the cabbage off the grill and remove the beer can. Dice the red cabbage and mix it with the BBQ sauce.
5. For the coleslaw, finely dice the red onion and the cabbage stalk you set aside earlier. Add the shredded carrot, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and honey, season with salt and pepper, and mix well.
6. Now you can assemble the burgers. Spread a layer of the BBQ beer slaw on the bottom half of each burger bun and top with a hamburger patty, cheddar cheese, sliced jalapeños, and 1-2 tablespoons of the homemade coleslaw for each burger. Put the top burger buns on and dig in!
Now that is one heck of a tangy, juicy burger. It's about time you made cabbage a permanent fixture in your burgers, so use your next cookout as an opportunity to take a bite out of this epic BBQ beer slaw burger!
Get the recipe for the Beer & Beef Dumplings featured in the bonus video.