Treat Yourself To A Slice Of Banana Caramel Cake
Those of us with a sweet tooth can almost never say no to caramel. And when it's drizzled over a fluffy sponge cake, then it becomes even harder. Now imagine that the entire cake is steeped in caramel sauce and decorated with whipped cream and caramelized banana. Are you still able to resist?!
For the caramel sauce:
- 2 fl oz water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 oz butter
- 2.5 fl oz cream
For the sponge cake mix:
- 1⅓ cups flour
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 oz soft butter
For the topping:
- 1⅔ cups whipped cream
- 1 banana, caramelized and cut in slices
- Make the sauce first: warm the water with the sugar over a medium heat in a pan, until the mix caramelizes and turns golden brown. Then add the butter and stir it all in. Finally, slowly pour in the cream and mix it thoroughly, before setting the sauce to one side. It should now be dark brown in color and have a viscous consistency.
- Now comes the foundation of this dessert, the sponge mix. For this, first mix the flour, sugar and eggs, and finally the butter, until a smooth batter forms. Then spread this evenly in a square-shaped, greased baking pan. Bake it for 25 min at 350°F.
- Once it's done, use a kebab stick to poke lots of holes in the sponge. Then pour half of the sauce over the entire thing. The aim is to completely saturate the cake with the caramel sauce.
- Next, put the whipped cream for the topping into an icing bag and decorate the cake. For example, you can use spirals to mark out different portions.
- You're almost done, you just need the banana. Caramelize it with one tablespoon of butter and one of brown sugar, and once it's cooled, cut it into slices and place them on top of the cream spirals.
This cake really is perfect for those times you want to do something nice for yourself or need a little a comfort food. We're sure you'll feel the love as soon as you take the first bite!