Baked Onions with Chicken — recipe for a hearty treat straight from the oven
Onion is an ingredient that should never be missing from a hearty meal. It has an unmistakable taste that gives our food some extra zing. But today's recipe needs more than "just a few onions" for the best flavors and aromas. So how are we going to do that? With bacon and barbecue sauce, of course!
You'll need (for 6 portions):
- 15.8 oz cooked chicken breast
- 3-4 Spanish onions
- some oil for frying
- 3.4 fl oz ketchup
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2.6 oz grated mozzarella
- 2 green onions, in rings
- 12 strips of bacon
- 3.4 fl oz barbecue sauce
- Shred the chicken breasts into small pieces. Cut into the onions and remove their outer rings. You'll need these later.
- Dice the inside of the onions and lightly sauté them in some oil. Add the ketchup, paprika, curry powder, cayenne pepper and honey and mix everything together.
- Add the sauce to the shredded chicken breast with the mozzarella and green onions.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into balls and press them into the onion rings. Wrap each onion with two strips of bacon in the shape of a cross. The strips of bacon need to cover the openings in the onion rings. Use a skewer to hold the bacon in place. To finish, spread barbecue sauce on the onions and bake them at 355°F for 20 minutes.
While baking, your onions will fill the kitchen with wonderful aromas that'll make your stomach start to growl. Once done, you'll find they really pack a punch with a fantastic flavor explosion! By the way, you can also cook your stuffed onions on the barbecue when warmer weather returns.