Cheesy Potato Casserole With Baked Eggs, Bacon, And Veggies
When it comes to satisfying savory ingredients to use in a home-cooked meal, potatoes, eggs, and bacon can't be beat! Add those delicious staples to the delectable power of the casserole, and you've got yourself a weeknight dinner staple that will feed the whole family without breaking the bank. This hearty potato casserole has a layer of gooey mozzarella cheese, an assortment of easy-to-prepare veggies, and it even gets topped off with perfectly baked eggs and crispy fried bacon. It's a great standby dish that works great for any meal and will have the whole family lining up for seconds!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
- 2½ lbs potatoes
- 3 carrots
- ⅓ cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 4 eggs
- 3 strips of bacon, fried & diced
- chopped scallion to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Peel the potatoes and carrots, grate them directly into a clean kitchen towel, and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Transfer the grated potatoes and carrots to a large mixing bowl and stir in the defrosted peas, nutmeg, black pepper, and paprika. Coat the bottom of a 9 x 9 inch casserole dish with ½ of the seasoned vegetable mixture and press the layer down firmly.
2. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the first layer of the casserole, then spoon the remainder of the seasoned vegetable mixture on top. Smooth out the top layer of the casserole with a spoon.
3. Crack 1 raw egg into a ladle, carefully press the bottom of the ladle into the top layer of the casserole to create a well, and transfer the raw egg from the ladle into the well. Repeat this process with the 3 remaining eggs.
4. Sprinkle the fried, diced bacon on top of the potato casserole, transfer the casserole dish to the oven, and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and garnish with chopped scallion.
The crispy texture of the baked potatoes and carrots, gooey layer of melted mozz, and perfectly baked eggs on top of this hearty casserole make it the perfect satisfying meal. Whether you start off by serving it for breakfast, brunch, or dinner, that first time definitely won't be your last!
Get the recipe for the Baked Egg & Mashed Potato Casserole featured in the bonus video.